Wednesday, April 20, 2011


Finally I get down to continue writing this blog! Well after a great stay in Kajuraho with the kamasutra temples and all we left to Jansi. It's quite a long drive and we arrived in the afternoon and our driver took us to the main historical place - Jansi fort. Yet another fort but this time here there weren't so many people, was a nice stroll about and there are even monkeys to spook you a bit when they start looking a bit threatening!

After the fort we drove out of Jansi to a nearby village - the birth place of our driver. Honestly this was a real experience for us. The true India, the people, the faces, the richness of the soul and of the smiles. We were greeted by his family as if we ourselves were family and after a short viewing of the living quarters ( 3 rooms a court yard and a back yard with a cow & calf, which is a big dwelling for the standards of the village) and a drive and walk around the village, we were offered dinner before starting our journey back to Jansi to go to the train station.

We arrived at the train station well in advanced, checked our tickets and waited in the car park, which in a way was more comfortable than being inside the station itself.

When there was some 30 min to go we went to the platform only to find that the train was delayed ( normality ) and we waited full of anticipation since it was our first time on a train in India!

Here we saw an amazing feat of survival and instinct which surely you will not see commonly in Europe. A dog was running to and from on the train rails, sniffing around and catching rats, which he devoured in seconds and went on looking for more.

When the train arrived, we said bye to our driver who now had become a companion for over 18 days and settled in our cabin - ok we were in first class - but this was nice!! 4 bunk beds with lights ventilation etc and we were lucky of having only one person coming in our cabin and who was also very nice and was going to leave the train at Allahabad station.

The engines started, the wagons moved and we were on our way to Varanasi.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morocco Mount Toubkal Climb - Day 2

Day 2 started with early breakfast from the always faithful Abdullah and also met Stewart and Simon who made part of the team we were ...